The fastest man in the world this year, Christian Coleman, will be able to compete at the IAAF World Championships after the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) announced it had withdrawn a drug-testing case against him on Monday (2nd September).
The USA sprinter had been due to face a hearing on September 4th, after being charged under anti-doping procedures for failing to properly file his whereabouts information on three occasions in a 12-month period.
If found guilty, Coleman would have faced a potential two-year ban from athletics, ruling him out of the 2019 World Championships in Doha later this month, and the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
But USADA said in a press release that it withdrew the charge after "receiving guidance from the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)".
Coleman had said in a statement, "I'm not a guy who takes any supplements at all, so I'm never concerned about taking drugs tests, at any time. What has been widely reported concerning filing violations is simply not true."
USADA announced that the charge had been dropped after the timeline of key dates in the case had been clarified, saying
"Coleman contended that his failure to update which was discovered on June 6, 2018, should relate back to April 1, 2018, which would be more than 12 months prior to Coleman’s most recent Whereabouts Failure on April 26, 2019"
The added, "In 2018-19 Coleman has provided his Whereabouts information by the start of each quarter and has been tested by USADA on 20 separate occasions"
The fastest man on the planet right now, Coleman ran this year's leading 100m in 9.81 seconds at the California Diamond League in June.
The 2017 World Championships silver medallist is the favourite for many to take gold in Doha and at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.