Indian women fight back to secure 1-1 draw against Great Britain

Forward Lalremsiami scored the equalising goal to ensure India’s unbeaten European tour continues.

By Olympic Channel Writer ·

India’s women hockey team fought back brilliantly to claim a deserved 1-1 draw against Great Britain in Marlow, England on Sunday.

The hosts managed an early lead in the game thanks to a penalty stroke, but Indian forward Lalremsiami equalised in the third quarter to ensure the Asian side’s unbeaten run continues.

Penalty stroke

After managing a slender 2-1 win in the first game, the Indian women’s hockey were determined to continue their good form; and made a good start.

They earned a couple of penalty corners and seemed destined to take an early lead but for a few smart saves from Britain’s shot-stopper Maddie Hinch.

Boosted by the saves from their goalkeeper, the hosts began taking control of the game and created a few openings for themselves, earning a penalty corner in the process.

The Indian defence did well to block the penalty corner, but the referee spotted an infringement and awarded a penalty stroke to the hosts. Great Britain confidently converted from that stroke in the eighth minute.

Relentless attack

Trailing by a goal, the Indians started playing on the front foot and regularly asked questions of Britain’s defence. Their ’keeper Hinch kept them in the game as she pulled off a few more smart saves as the second quarter came to a close.


The third quarter, however, proved fruitful for India as their attack finally reaped the reward with Lalremsiami finishing off a neatly constructed move to make it 1-1. Following that goal, both sides became a little cautious with their approach, guarding their defences and not committing too many players in attack to avoid being hit on the counter. 

The final quarter continued in a similar fashion, with the game becoming a cagey affair, centred around the midfield region. 

India tried a few attacking plays, but could not find clear opportunities, as Britain’s defence remained resolute. With neither teams really threatening in the final quarter, the referee soon blew the full-time whistle as the game ended in a 1-1 stalemate.