PV Sindhu, Lakshya Sen lose out as international badminton put off again

The Badminton World Federation has cancelled four more events which were scheduled in September.

International badminton’s wait to swing into action has been prolonged as the Badminton World Federation (BWF), cancelled four more events scheduled in September.

The Taipei Open (September 1-6), Korea Open (September 8-13), China Open (September 15-20) and Japan Open (September 22-27) have been called off due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

PV Sindhu and Lakshya Sen had entered for the events in Chinese Taipei and South Korea.

The BWF was hoping to resume the season with the China Masters Super 100 event at Sanya on August 25. But the organisers have been forced to drop the event.

“These decisions to cancel tournaments are made in the best interest of the health of the players, spectators, volunteers and Member Associations,” BWF Secretary General Thomas Lund said.

If the BWF calendar remains unaltered, badminton will return with the Thomas and Uber Cup from October 3-11.
If the BWF calendar remains unaltered, badminton will return with the Thomas and Uber Cup from October 3-11.If the BWF calendar remains unaltered, badminton will return with the Thomas and Uber Cup from October 3-11.

“We are deeply disappointed to have to cancel tournaments, but feel that the well-being of everyone involved is most important at this time.”

Sensible move

Former national champion U Vimal Kumar backed the BWF decision.

“It’s a good decision and makes complete sense as countries and borders are not yet open,” he told the Hindustan Times

Vimal Kumar, who serves as the head coach and director at the Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy had earlier shared his apprehension with the Olympic Channel regarding the same.

“I think what the BWF has done is they have tried to give some positivity to the overall environment in the badminton circuit. It’s a good thing,” the Dronacharya awardee coach had said.

“But we don't know how many will be keen on travelling to China given restrictions in place. Right now, all we can do is wait and watch. There are a lot of things that aren't in our hands. 

“But I am sure if everything falls in place, there will be players who will want to compete at these events. But at least, there's hope.”

According to the calendar, international badminton is expected to return with the Thomas and Uber Cup slated to be held in Denmark from October 3-11.

Enjoyed this story? Share it with your friends!