The international shooting body cancelled the event in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The 2020 ISSF World Cup that was to be held at the Dr Karni Singh shooting range in New Delhi has been cancelled, the International Shooting Sports Federation (ISSF) announced on Monday.
The ISSF in a statement said: “Due to the COVID-19 pandemic the New Delhi Organising Committee has been forced to cancel Rifle/Pistol and Shotgun World Cups. Both of these were due to take place in New Delhi. Rifle and Pistol events were planned to be held from 5th to 13th May and Shotgun from 20th to 29th May.”
It is to be noted that the said events were postponed to May from their initial dates in March following the outbreak of the novel coronavirus.
The pressure to call off the event was building on the organisers, the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI), especially after the Munich event was called off last week.
It is also learnt that the NRAI realised that the writing was on the wall given the constantly developing situation with regards to the novel coronavirus.
“Given that lockdowns are being enforced not just in India, how will the shooters prepare for an event like a World Cup now?" a source in the know of things was quoted as asking the Press Trust of India.
"Going by the views of many associated with the sport in India, the writing is on the wall. Even the biggest of them all -- the Olympics has also been postponed to next year. So the call for cancellation is appropriate.
“They need fresh visas, weapon permits, tickets and nothing is working anywhere at the moment. Moreover, there is no access to the range and so no training.”
The ISSF statement also said that the World Cup event scheduled to be held in Baku, Azerbaijan from June 22- July 3 will also be cancelled.