Tennis duo Sharan, Prashanth pocket first title post lockdown

The doubles pair emerged triumphant on the Lawn Tennis Association’s British Tour at the National Tennis Centre in Surrey.

Post the COVID-19 break, Divij Sharan and Vijay Sundar Prashanth won their first doubles title of the season at the Lawn Tennis Association’s British Tour in Surrey.

Up against the British pair of Ryan Peniston and David Stevenson in the final, the top-seeded Indian duo won 4-2, 4-1 at the National Tennis Centre. 

“It is always nice to win a title,” Divij Sharan, who returned to competitive tennis earlier this month, told Sportstar.

“I enjoyed playing with Vijay, whom I have known for the last 20 years from our under-14 days. Interestingly, we switched sides this time, and he played the deuce court.”

Although the Indians were unstoppable in the final, they were stretched to the distance by Michael Shaw and Barnaby Smith in their opening round before emerging victorious with a 4-1, 1-4, 10-7 scoreline.

In the semi-finals, they had to rally from a set down to beat Finn Murgett and James Story 3-4 (6), 4-1, 10-5.

Divij Sharan has been staying in the UK ever since the COVID-19 pandemic disturbed his plans for the season.

With his wife Samantha Murray Sharan - a tennis player herself - for company, the Indian returned to the court in early May and paced his return.

“There’s no point going to the court and playing a crazy amount as we don’t have any tournaments in the near future,” Divij Sharan had explained to the Olympic Channel earlier. “I’m doing things in moderation and keeping myself fit.

“So, if the resumption is announced and I have a month to prepare, I will be ready,” he asserted.

If Divij Sharan (left) is unable to make the US Open, he will look to compete at a few events in Europe this year.
If Divij Sharan (left) is unable to make the US Open, he will look to compete at a few events in Europe this year.If Divij Sharan (left) is unable to make the US Open, he will look to compete at a few events in Europe this year.

However, with the US Open likely to go ahead with the August 31 start, the 34-year-old Indian may be running out of time. 

“There is still some uncertainty with regard to the US Open,” Divij Sharan told Sportstar.

“They need to take a final call by the end of the month. It will be a close one for me to make the cut for the US Open as it is a smaller draw.”

If the Indian is unable to make it to the US, he will be looking forward to competing at a few events in Europe this year.

Enjoyed this story? Share it with your friends!